Principal Civil/Structural Engineer
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
Principal Civil/Structural Engineer – Nuclear & Power – Epsom
Our growing team is looking for a Principal Civil/Structural Engineer who thrives on being busy and having a sense of achievement at the end of each day. You want to deliver – for yourself, for the organisation and for the client.
We need an experienced civil/structural engineer who can lead and deliver multiple projects simultaneously. You'll enjoy working closely with clients on a range of demanding issues whilst mentoring and training more junior colleagues to protect the high standards that we're proud of.
Does this sound like you? In which case, we'd love you to apply for this role.
Working within our Nuclear & Power team you will provide technical leadership to a team of civil and structural engineering professionals. You will also be responsible for leading the development of project specific engineering solutions and providing technical oversight of the work we produce. You will provide the necessary design justification to ensure design solutions are compliant with safety and regulatory requirements. You will lead in the production of proposals to clients whilst working to develop strong and lasting relationships with key client contacts.
You will enjoy approaching things in different ways to find the best possible fit – you like making adjustments and playing with different approaches, trying to find the best approach to fit whatever is the current context. As soon as you're presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be.
You don't just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy watching people develop and grow in your team. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to 'get it', and then watch them go on and achieve more.
And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether that's delivering something that a client needs, or helping someone to progress within the organisation.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree qualified Civil or Structural Engineer.
- Chartered Engineer and a Member of ICE or IStructE, ideally both.
- Experience of leading, supervising, developing and mentoring.
- Proven capability of leading and delivering civil / structural engineering projects.
- Proven design experience; including optioneering, concept and detailed design and experience supporting construction and commissioning phases.
- Strong technical background, including first principles analysis, as well as the ability to design steel and reinforced concrete structures using relevant UK and international codes/standards.
- A proven track record of excellent client engagement skills with an ability to develop new opportunities and win work
- Experience of working in the nuclear industry will be a big advantage.
- Experience of designing to extreme load cases such as Blast, Seismic and Impact would be an advantage.
- Experience of conventional building design using steel and reinforced concrete would be an advantage.
- Experience of demolition processes and techniques would be an advantage.
- Considerable experience with engineering software packages including finite element analysis.
- An understanding of the commercial aspects of a consultancy business.
- The ability to speak French, Japanese or Chinese would be an added bonus.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.