Sales Engineer III
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) at is a global communications and IT services company focused on connecting its customers to the power of the digital world. CenturyLink offers network and data systems management, big data analytics, managed security services, hosting, cloud, and IT consulting services. The company provides broadband, voice, video, advanced data and managed network services over a robust 265,000-route-mile U.S. fiber network and a 360,000-route-mile international transport network. Visit CenturyLink at for more information.
Responsible for selling services and retaining revenue by providing technical customer support to assigned
accounts. The Sales Engineer interacts with customers to execute the technical aspects of the sales strategy by
developing appropriate solutions and building technical relationships. The SE is able to focus ambiguous customer needs
into specific, deliverable requirements and solutions to help qualify and quantify opportunities. The SE resolves technical
issues arising during the sales engagement, helps clients define specifications and requirements, develops solutions, and
provides technology presentations to both technical and management-level audiences
- Customer Meetings and Meeting Preparation: Attends customer meetings in person and via the phone.
Prepares moderately complex level technical proposals and presentations. Provides moderate scope responses to
product and industry questions. Demonstrates proficient solution selling abilities and effective, pro-active customer
- Customer Solution Development: Analyzes customers business needs and develops intermediate range strategies
based on knowledge of customer's current communication network, equipment, and business on how company can
competitively meet customer's needs. Independently completes moderately difficult custom designs.
- Internal and External Training: Advises customers and sales on technical aspects of company products including fit to
customer's needs, features, availability, etc.
- Customer Advocate: Escalation route for Sales Engineer I & II - acts as customer advocate as necessary for pre-sales
activities and minimal post-sales activities.
- Process Improvement: Utilizes expertise developed in executing the above duties to help streamline and improve Sales
and SE processes. Responsible for regularly recommending improvements to management team. Outlines changes
needed to the process, products, and pricing based on the requirements.
- Communication: Advanced written and verbal communication skills. Must have the ability
to build relationships over the phone. Must have a proactive communication style ensuring timely status of projects to
account team and customer. Must be able to extract hidden or unrealized customer requirements and gain consensus on
these requirements with the customer. Ability to focus ambiguous customer needs into specific, deliverable requirements.
Able to develop relationships and communicate with high level customer technical staff.
- Technical Skills: Advanced understanding of voice/data/internet applications, communications technology, and network
design. Advanced understanding of technical terminology related to company products and services. Requires general
knowledge of voice and data communications equipment. Advanced understanding of sales cycles and the solution
selling process, preferably at multiple levels, i.e., Internet and Enterprise. Advanced level presentation skills.
- Problem Solving: Advanced analytical skills. Must be able to work through complex issues with a methodical approach.
Advanced ability to graphically depict solutions in a compelling manner.
- Work Style: Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines. Ability
to work on multiple projects simultaneously. Must be detail oriented.
- Computer Skills: Advanced MS Office Suite knowledge and usage. Ability to learn internal company systems, such as
Siebel, Granite, and Network Engineer.
- Business Acumen: Must have intermediate understanding of company financial measures. Must have an intermediate
understanding of telecommunications industry and sales cycles.
Ability to travel as needed (Approx. 50%).
- Security clearance may be required.
Alternate Location: UK-London-Fleet Place
Requisition #: 180607
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
We are committed to making reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process for people with disabilities. If there is anything we can do to help you, please let us know
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, religion, colour, sex, age, disability or sexual orientation or any other status protected by local or national law. We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training. We participate in the A-Check Pre-employment Screening Program or the Electronic Employment Verification Program, depending on location.
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.